Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Giving to the homeless

I have noticed this ever increasing trend happening all across the valley as unemployment rises I am seeing all these people now out at tons of off ramps begging for money. They are even on street corners asking for money.
Its not that I don't want to be sympathetic to their situations I don't know what I would do if I couldn't work, but I do know that earlier experiences in my life have convinced me to believe that no matter how hungry or thirsty these people are that if you aren't going to give them money (the root of all evil) that they don't really want anything else. That is the only thing I don't want to give them, I can't see if they are going to use this money to feed themselves or take care of their veteran dog that served in three wars.
My favorite thing is that my wife always asks if they are homeless where did they get the marker to write that or the cardboard, where?
I was incredibly surprised as we went to get off the freeway the other day, she says oh hey tell that guy to come over here we have got something we can give to him.
I am like oh yeah right his mercedes is probably half a block away in the gas station, his sweater is perry ellis.
She says no come on we can spare something for him, just have him come over here and we will talk with him for a second.
She manages to convince me that I am way to untrusting and he probably really is down on his luck and as I am going to roll down my window she hands me the mace from the middle console and says remember to aim for his eyes, and if you don't get him at first try again. This should hold up to 30 shots in it, but don't fire until the light is green we don't anyone to realize we gave him what he truely deserved.
I just laughed and laughed I still get a smile on my face every time I think about it, mostly just becaseu I wonder how he would have reacted when he comes to get $5 and ends up covering his face is agony saying no my eyes my eyes how am I going to manage to drive myself home and enter the code to my gated community?

1 comment:

D. SKye Hodges said...

harsh..

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/mosiah/4/24-27#24