I would like to pose a question, Why are people so loyal to sports teams? As March Madness is back upon us I hear all this talk about how someone is a die hard fan of a school they have never attended, and would consequently hold no chance whatsoever of ever attending that school. I hear all these people saying this is my school (when they never had gone there), these are my boys (when they don't know any of them), this is our year (you and your multi personalties? well this is a good year to get help and seek a mental evaluation).
I think to be a fan of something you should have to prove you went to the school. That is the only reason why I think any one should ever cheer for a school, I can see if you parents went there and you are too young to attend yet that you could follow your parents loyalty and cheer until you are out of high school at which time you couldn't cheer for the school until you had been accepted and enrolled in at least one class.
If you only went through high school for instance you wouldn't proclaim that TCU or Texas A&M is your school, these are your boys or this is your year. You can only choose a professional team at that point and it has to be with a good reason, I am a Utah Jazz fan because I live in Utah, and I don't mean to brag but I played on the Jr. Jazz team a few years when I was younger. I still have a couple jerseys, pictures and even some trophies to prove it.
This could be the same for Professional teams you can cheer for a team that has a player on their roster from your former school, and you could stay loyal to that team until you die, but if there never was a player from your former school then you don't have any claim or reason to be one of their fans unless of course someone in your family plays for them or you grew up in that city where they are located, or you were born when your parents were at one of their games, etc.
I just think it sounds dumb when you have no logical reason to be loyal to a school that you never got a degree from, you never received knowledge from this place that could increase your chances in life, you have never even been on a tour of the grounds.
Everyone would want to increase their chances of getting a degree to say hey I only went to community college and I think we were bruins I know the mascot looked like a giant circus bear which might explain why the school was full of so many clowns, but one day I dream of chearing for some other mystical animal like a cougar or an idian that lived here before the white man came.
Don't even get me started on how over paid the coaches are too. 1.2 million for a year of coaching a college team. Urgh you would think is someone had a college education they woudl be smart enough to say college proffessors make normally X-Y we will pay you X.Y per year like the other graduated gym coaches.
Monday, March 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
somebody mentioned march madness today and i had to give them the quizzical look-i had no idea what that meant...but i got schooled about it. :)
Post a Comment